A Message from the PDL Chair
2017 has been a year of momentous year of transformation for the Senior Executives Association (SEA, the 501(c)5 nonprofit membership organization) as well as the SEA Professional Development League (PDL, the 501(c)3 nonprofit educational organization).
Although our work is not done in bringing needed reforms to best fit the vision and mission of the PDL, our strategic direction is both timely and promising as we endeavor to professionally develop our federal senior executives (including SES, SL/ST, and equivalents) while at the same time supporting the development of a leadership and management pipeline of talent for those who will come after us to serve and preserve the legacy of excellence our members and friends established long ago and maintain to this day.
Key accomplishments for PDL in 2017 include:
- Established the mission, vision, and values of the PDL (now posted on our website…please have a look and let us know what you think): https://www.seapdl.org/
- Co-hosted with SEA our inaugural annual Presidential Rank Awards Leadership Summit on December 7th, which was attended by more than 500 people and highlighted the enormous contributions the 2016/17 Presidential Rank Award winners have made to our Nation.
- Provided cutting edge training sessions at the PRA Leadership Summit, as well as flash mentoring and networking opportunities that are an important element of leadership development.
- Partnered with other Federal good government organizations to leverage and expand PDL’s impact on developing the workforce of tomorrow.
- Updated the PDL Bylaws in accordance with best practices for nonprofit boards and organizations. New PDL Board members were elected to incorporate SEA members with both current and prior federal executive service and who bring cross-sectoral (i.e., public, private, and nonprofit) perspectives so that we can provide the most salient and relevant leadership and management insights to existing and rising senior executives.
Looking to 2018, we will continue to pursue activities in support of PDL’s Four Pillars:
Pillar #1: Create and maintain a full lifecycle of leader and manager education and development programs that are responsive to the needs of senior executives in the Federal government.
Pillar #2: Provide opportunities for SEA members and affiliates to enhance their leadership and management skills.
Pillar #3: Convene leadership and management thought leaders and expert practitioners to build a strong and adaptive development network that serves the needs of current and emerging Federal executives.
Pillar #4: Partner with SEA to develop the standards and governance that would underpin the creation and sustainment of a leadership profession in the federal government.
We can’t accomplish all of this, however, without your continued support. Please consider giving a tax-deductible contribution in 2017 to PDL to help us continue our journey toward public service excellence. Your contributions will be used to build and invest in leadership education programs, fund scholarships, conduct research and other activities to advance our mission of creating and supporting the passionate and dedicated leaders of today and tomorrow.
Timothy M. Persons
Chairman of the Board
SEA Professional Development League